Thursday, 24 September 2009

Secret squirrel project

Meanwhile, as a reaction to the whole kitchen cabinet maker falling out (and due to the fact that I wasn't confident about manufacturing a concrete benchtop myself) M rode in on his white charger, as he does when I get all sad about things, and has built us a grade A rusticated laundry benchtop using the oregon timbers from the old kitchen formwork and the old baltic pine from the old kitchen floor! And what's more it was his 50th birthday weekend (party postponed, of course)- what a great guy.


I've been filling holes and doing the final sanding while trying to retain some of the original features including paint spots and a bit of old newspaper that was stuck to a board.


Then, as advised by W, I proceeded to apply a Wattyl 2 pack poly.

There's actually been 1 or 2 coats since this picture (4 in all) so let's hope it is waterproof. I actually liked it before the coating - maybe I should have bleached it first, as it went very dark.

I picked up some cupboard handles and hinges today from Recollections, so when we work out how to build a cupboard underneath, we'll be ready to go. I'll show you them tomorrow, if you're lucky, and maybe the lights and fans, if I get to pick them up. And guess what - the fridge and stove are coming tomorrow. Yippee!

2 comments:

beth said...

That husband of yours is pretty clever. And W comes in handy too. Don't worry about it being too dark. It'll look great! Have faith.

lyonskin said...

Thanks B. Hey I'm thinking gloss on the lining boards - saw a great picture.